Monday 10 August 2009

Kintyre..the most relaxing place in the world?




I love our Kintyre holidays. I took so many photos this time and have posted them all on Facebook. Couldn't possibly choose the best ones to publish here on my blog.

Kintyre is probably one of the most relaxing places on earth. Wild, remote, beautiful deserted beaches, pale sand. Fantastic weather. A burst of heavy rain followed by a sunny evening with a stunning sunset. Long and winding farm tracks up in the hills, pine forests, trickling streams, stone bridges, the sea like a mill pond on a sunny day. Shabby Campbeltown with old-fashioned shops selling jars of sweets and homemade ice cream. Very friendly locals eager to stop and chat. Sheltered harbours with lots of boats, but no people. Wild fuchsia bushes, butterflies, lobster baskets, wooden huts selling fresh seafood, views of distant mountains on other islands... Gigha, Jura, Islay, Arran.

The sunset photo was taken from our apartment window.

I read four thick novels in a week and started a fifth. The best of the bunch was ex-QWF subscriber, Sarah Jackman's Never Stop Looking. One of the best novels I've read in a long time. It's about loss, loneliness, hope, renewal, relationships, the way we deceive ourselves and so much more.

Back to a lot of washing.... rain.... a funeral to attend tomorrow (came home to the news my aunt had died over a week ago) and lots of Yellow Room admin. I've now sold out of Issue 2. One of my tasks this week is to choose the stories which I'll publish in Issue 3, due out in October. I'm looking forward to that.

I'm going great guns with the novel. I spoke to a lovely ex-detective the day before I went on holiday. I'm beginning to realise that research can take you on a very interesting journey.

Oh, and I'm in love with my Imac.

1 comment:

Jan Jones said...

So glad you had a great time, Jo. Photos are FAB!!!