Monday 30 May 2011

Announcing the winners of The Yellow Room Spring Short Story Competition 2011


Announcing the winning entries...
1st Prize: A Night Out by Sharon Birch
2nd Prize: A Few Vital Minutes by Sarah Barr
3rd Prize: Enduring the Sun by Shirley Golden
Highly Commended: Free Running by Jenny Roman
The Girl In Red Shoes by Jo Carroll
Commended: The Billet-Doux by Gill Blow
This Beautiful Day by Elizabeth Xifaras
Tear Analysis by Joanne Fox

I found it so difficult to decide between the top five stories. All were worthy winners and very well written. It just came down to personal choice in the end. I picked A Night Out as the winning story, because it moved me emotionally and my heart was in my mouth as I read, racing to see what the denouement would be. I felt total empathy for the characters in the top five stories and willed them to be allowed a happy ending. I will be publishing the top three stories in future issues of The Yellow Room Magazine.

3 comments:

gill said...

I am delighted to have my story 'The Billet Doux' selected as a Commended entry for The Spring Competition. And warmest congrats to the three winners I shall look forward to reading them. Thanks Jo this is huge boost!
Gill Blow

JO said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed my Girl in Red Shoes - And being Highly Commended is better than I dreamed of - thank you. Looking forward to the next Yellow Room - and to reading the winning three.
Jo Carroll

TracyFells said...

Congratulations to all those winning and commended. I am boosted to get this issue and read the top 3 as sounds it was a close thing.